1.21.2010

must've been beginner's luck

I had a feeling before putting these babies in the oven that they weren't going to be the beautiful little cookie I had baked only 12 hours before.

I haven't gone completely mental (I don't think), but I have to ask - does your food talk to you? You know, have personality? Maybe it's just me. I imagined my little cracked, feetless macarons telling me, "we tried to be perfect, like our predecessors. Please don't hate us, we still taste delicious".

See, told you I'd become obsessed.

Made these macarons, using the same shell recipe as last time, but a few things I did different (which I don't know if they had any effect on them) were:



  • I used vanilla sugar, which is finer than granulated sugar. Oh, but does it ever smell delish.

  • I started to sift the ground almonds and powdered sugar, got bored and dumped the rest in. Seriously, who does that?
  • The first time I made macarons, I "aged" the egg whites in the microwave for 10 seconds separately. This time I dumped them all in a bowl and microwaved them.

There I was thinking I was a natural macaron baker. I need to learn about macarons' finicky nature before I begin experimenting, eh?

For the buttercream, I beat unsalted butter until creamy, added sifted powdered sugar until it was the consistency I wanted and then added orange extract to taste and a splash or two of milk (1 tsp?) as well.

They disappeared in less time than it took me to pipe them.

Chocolate. Carmel. Banana. Strawberry. Coffee. The ideas for the next batch are swirling around in my head. I don't know how much more of this I can take - I need some sleep!

28 comments:

  1. Love marcarons...caramel would be my top favourite filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha,my food and taste buds talk to me,the cupcakes in my imagination beg me to get baked too....more on dat in a bit...
    Ur macroons look fantastic.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, got a little macaron feet cocky, huh?! I really need to give this a go myself. I want some but don't think it will happen unless I make 'em myself.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Have you been over to The Black Apple blog and seen her cranberry macaroons? If I ever bake me some (unlikely) I think that'll be the first flavor I try.

    Kristina
    Sweetfern Handmade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that food does talk to me too! :-) Sometimes a dish doesn't look very appetizing but once I taste it I can't get enough of it. I've never made macaroons before but yours look wonderful. The cracks give them their own personality and style. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So maybe now what you need to do is be systematic about it and change just one thing at a time to figure out where you went wrong. Although to be fair, I think they look delicious as is. Great filling! Buttercream is like heaven in a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look absolutely beautiful. I would love to taste one, perfect, so light delicate and creamy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its been really difficult for me to try and troubleshoot with macarons and figure out why things go wrong sometimes. They still look pretty cute though :).
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    *kisses* HH
    p.s. food always talk to me but it always says "eat me"

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look different but still every bit as scrumptious! The possibilities for flavors are so endless! Maybe you'll work your way through each one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so decadent and would be perfect right now with my coffee. I can just smell the vanilla sugar from here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracked or not, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great recipe! Looks so tempting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know some of those experienced macaron makers have their fails too. The macs still look delicious! I guess they are just a temperamental cookie. At least you tried - I still haven't gotten that far..

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes...macarons lend themselves to so many variations, all of which seem to look beautiful and taste amazing. kudos to you for your efforts here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pistachio macaroons are my favorite! Yes, they are very finiky cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm jealous. My baking ability is limited to easy cakes and brownies. The end. My complete lack of patience could do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure they still tasted delicious! I always try to find shortcuts.. ha ha. I really just need to follow the rules!

    I thought of you when we ate our macarons in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Talking macaroons! Clever and delicious! A must try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do think that your finishing products still looks cute and delicious even though they don't have feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so impressed with the food bloggers that have taken up making macarons-I have yet to have the courage. Yours look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been reading your blog and enjoy your posts I am passing the "Honest Scrap" Award. This is given from one blogger to ten chosen for there honesty,inspiration, passion and soul. Part of the award is to share ten honest things about yourself then pass the award to ten others please see http://chef-renee.blogspot.com
    Thank you!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look fantastic! I would love to be a good baker :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful macarons.. & yeah.. I completely agree with you! My food has a personality (probably mine!) & it really converses with me...
    (found you through www.hereiscribble.blogspot.com)

    Venus (www.meetvenus.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  24. de très beaux macarons bien réussis
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think they look great and bet it is just as delicious too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it means a lot to read your feedback! Have a wonderful day!